Two apps you can use to apply a vignette effect to your photo
Posted On June 9, 2021
Our eyes have such a characteristic. They are drawn towards the brighter parts of a photo. If the sides and corners are brighter than the center in your photo, the viewers' eyes will be led away from the center. To solve this issue, you need to add a vignette effect to the photo. This effect darkens the sides and corners of a photo and makes a subtle frame to your photo, which draws people's attention to the subject placed in the center. There are a large number of photo editing apps with vignette filters. But not all of them are beginner-friendly. If you are a beginner in photo editing and looking for an easy-to-use photo editor, please continue reading this post. In this post, I will introduce two photo effect apps to you with which you can easily apply a vignette effect to a photo.
#1. Photo HDR
With a suggestive name, Photo HDR is specialized in making a HDR photo by combining several photos of the same scene with different exposures. Coming packed with a series of filters, Photo HDR also allows you to tune the visual aspects of your photo to make the photo more eye-catching.
After the program is launched, you will be presented with a sleek and clean window. Import several photos with different exposures and a HDR photo with the blended exposure will be soon displayed in the window. Click on "Next" and you will be taken to a new window. The window is made up of three panels. A variety of preset effects are located in the left-side panel. You can apply each one to your photo with a single click. The middle panel is a large preview area. Here you can view any change as you apply it to the photo in real-time. A set of parameters are located in the right-side panel. By levering these parameters, you can adjust the photo effect in an all around way. You can change the exposure by altering the brightness, contrast, and saturation. Besides, you can adjust the local contrast to improve the contrast in particular parts. What's more, you can tone-map a HDR photo, compress the dynamic range of a photo, boost colors using Lab adjustment, and soften the edges of shadows. You are also given the possibility to sharpen a blurry photo, reduce the noise from the photo, and mix the color channels. Vignette filter, graduated filter, and vibrance are other adjustable parameters.
To make a long story short, Photo HDR works as not only a HDR photo creator but also a photo effect editor. With built-in decorative objects and parameters, it lets you retouch your photo, making the photo look beautiful in a quick way. Due to the simplistic layout and intuitive settings, Photo HDR can be handled by both less experienced users and experts. Give it a shot and you would love to put it in your arsenal
Now, let's dive into the part of how to use Photo HDR to apply a vignette effect to your photo
How to apply a vignette effect to a photo with Photo HDR
- Drop your photo into the box "Drag and Drop Your Photo here". You can also click on the "Add" button to import your photo.
- Go to the right-side panel. Scroll down to the "Vignette Filter" section. Click on the "Vignette Filter" button so that you can adjust the parameters in this section. The parameters are "Strength", "Feather", and "Roundness". "Strength" is used to control the amount of darkening applied to the edges. As the value is increased, more amount of darkening will be applied to the edges. If you set the value to the maximum, the full amount of darkening will reach the corners of the photo. If you set the value to a negative, the edges will be brightened. "Feather" is used to control the width of the feathering effect. The feathering effect means softening the transition between the central parts and edges. If you set the value to 0, only the corners will be affected by the feathering effect. If you set the value to 40, the feathering effect reaches halfway to the center. If you set the value to 100, the feathering effect reaches all the way into the center. "Roundness" is used control the shape of vignette effect. The higher the value is, the rounder the shape is.
- Drag the sliders to adjust the parameters to suit your needs.
- Press the "Save as" button to export the photo to a desired location.
Photo HDR does a great job of creating a vignette effect. Its free version leaves a watermark to your photo since it is a piece of commercial software. In case you want a free application, I will introduce Insta Editor to you in the following part.
#2. Insta Editor
Insta Editor is a web-based photo editor not so many people know about. It is completely free for use and will always remain so. The app empowers you to add popular filters to your photo and do basic adjustments to the photo. Insta Editor is very straightforward. So you can easily figure out how to use it. Without the further ado, let's see how to use Insta Editor to apply a vignette effect to your photo.
How to apply a vignette effect to a photo with Insta-Editor
- Go to the homepage. Navigate to the "EDITORS" menu and select "VIGNETTE". You will be taken to a new webpage.
- Click on the "Upload" icon to upload your photo. You can also throw your photo into the drop box.
- Once the photo is uploaded, you will see the vignette effect added to the photo.
- Pull the "AMOUNT" slider to adjust the range of the vignette effect. Move the "SATURATION" slider to adjust the strength of the vignette effect.
- Press the "SAVE" button to download the changed photo.
The vignette effect looks like a smooth change in the tone of the photo from the edges to the center. It is very useful when you need to draw viewers' attention to the center of the photo. With the aid of the two apps mentioned previously, you can make a vignette effect and add it to your photo with little effort.