In this digital photographing world, it is sure that people want realism in their photographs. Photographers want to get the scene in realistic colors. In the past, because of the technological limit, what you got were black and white photos. Now, you may want to see what the past recorded in the old photos were really like. Or you want to share the colored versions of these old photos through Facebook or Instagram. This is when you need to convert these black and while photos into colored photos. As is known to all, years ago, it was very difficult to colorize photos since colorizing photos required a certain level of expertise. Only a small number of people were able to do the work. But nowadays, things have become different. We have AI photo colorizing technologies that make photo colorizing much easier. Even though you are a rookie in photo editing, you can breathe colors into the black and white photos effortlessly by harnessing the photo colorizing apps. There are plenty of software products that allow you to colorize your photo. You are not sure which are reliable. To save your time of finding reliable products, I will walk you through two great apps to help you restore the colors of your black and white photos.
#1. Deepai.org DeepAI
DeepAI is an automatic image colorization API. It takes advantage of a deep learning model which has been trained on black and white images and their colored counterparts. You can use it to make your black and white colorized within seconds and expect the results with wonderful quality. There is a limit on the dimension of the image to be uploaded. The accepted image dimension is no more than 1200px. If you upload an image with a dimension bigger than 1200px, DeepAI will shrink the image. There is no need to register an account and the service is totally free to use. The only drawback is that batch processing is not supported. All in all, if you want to bring colors to historic images or old family photos, DeepAI is a great choice. By the way, Deep AI also lets you add colors to every frame of a video file for colorizing old black and white movies.
- Colorize black and white photos for free.
- Super easy to use.
- No watermark left on the colorized photo.
- No need to create an account.
- Support importing an online image.
- Batch colorizing photos is not doable.
- The image with a dimension larger than 1200px will be shrunk.
Let's dive into the part of how to use DeepAI to colorize a black and white photo
How to colorize a black and white photo using DeepAI
- Click on the "Image" button to upload your photo. You can also upload your photo by clicking on "url upload" and entering an image URL.
- As soon as your photo is uploaded to the server, it will be colorized automatically. You will see the colorized photo in the left-side preview pane after about two seconds.
- Right-click on the colorized photo and save it to your hard drive.
#2. Vertexshare Picture Colorizer
Picture Coloizer is a free online photo colorizer that uses deep learning to convert black and white photos to colored photos. It is no exaggeration to say that Picture Colorizer is able to add natural and consistent colors to photos. You are allowed to convert multiple images simultaneously, which is a great advantage of this app. The conversion for each image is very fast and finishes within a few seconds. There are limits to the size and the dimension of the image to be uploaded. The max image upload size is 5MB and the max image dimension is 3000px and 3000px. You don't have to create an account to utilize the service of Picture Colorizer. In consideration of privacy and security, Picture Colorizer will remove all your images from its server every day. So, you are 100% assured that data leakage will not happen. On the whole, regardless of whether you want to colorize animal pictures, classic film screenshots, portrait photos or landscape photographs, Picture deserves a shot.
- Totally free to use.
- No learning curves.
- Generate accurate colorized results.
- You are allowed to batch colorize photos.
- There is no need to sign up for an account.
- The size of the image to be uploaded is no more than 5MB.
- The dimension of the image to be uploaded is no more than 3000px*3000px.
- You are only allowed to upload PNG or JPG images.
Let's see how to use Picture Colorizer to colorize a black and white photo
How to colorize a black and white photo using Picture Colorizer
- Drag and drop your photo into the drop box. Or press the "Upload" icon, browse to your photo, select it, and click on "Open".
- After your photo thumbnail shows up on the webpage, click on the "Start" button. The uploading and converting process will start.
- You will see a red "Download" button when the conversion is finished.
- Press the red "Download" button to save the colorized photo to a desired location.
For most people, looking at old photographs will bring back memories of the past. These photographs come in two colors, black and white. You may want to make them look more real with a touch of colors. With the aid of the two apps mentioned above, you can easily and quickly get the job done. If someday you discover other good photo colorizers, please let me know in the comment section below.