It is common that each family has black and white photos. Sometimes you want to make them colorized. Black and white photos give you a glimpse of the past. Maybe you want to go one step further and see what the old days were really like. This is when you want to put colors on these old photographs. You want to share the black and white photos through social media but they lack colors and are not eye-catching. To make the photos more attractive, it is necessary to add colors to them. Many years ago, it was hard for people to colorize photos since it required a certain level of expertise. But in today's digital world, things have changed. Owing to the development of photo colorizing technology, turning black and white photos into colored ones is a piece of cake. Even though you do not have much experience in photo editing, you can quickly make black and white photos colored by harnessing photo colorizers. There are plenty of AI photo colorizing products on the market. It takes a lot of time to find the reliable software products. If you want to save your time doing so, please continue reading this article. In this article, I will introduce you to two apps that do a great job of colorizing old black and white photos.
#1. Picture Colorizer
With a suggestive name, Picture Colorizer is a photo coloring app released by Vertexshare. This app analyzes black and white photos and fills them with realistic colors. You are allowed to upload multiple photos to Picture Colorizer and convert them into colored ones simultaneously. Each image to be uploaded is no more than 5MB. The image dimension should not be bigger than 3000px*3000px. The conversion takes a few seconds to several minutes, depending on the image size. Picture Colorizer does not require you to register an account for using its service, which is totally free to use. As regards privacy and security, all your images will be eliminated from the server every day. So, there is no need to worry about whether the data leakage will happen.
Based on the AI algorithms that make use of deep learning techniques, Picture Colorize helps you add colors to photos without manual work. Regardless of whether you want to colorize landscape photos, grayscale images, animal pictures, or classic film screenshots, Picture Colorizer is worth a shot.
- Colorize photos automatically
- Free to use
- No learning curves
- Add natural and real-life colors to photos
- Support batch conversion
- No need to create an account
- The size of the image to be uploaded can't exceed 5MB
- The dimension of the image to be uploaded is no more than 3000px*3000px
- Only PNG or JPG format is supported
Let's dive into the part of how to use Picture Colorizer to colorize a black and white photo.
How to colorize a black and white photo with Picture Colorizer
- Throw your photo into the drop box. Or click on the "Upload" button, browse to your photo, select it, and click on "Open".
- After your photo is added to the task, press the "Start" button to start uploading the photo and converting it into a colored one.
- The colorizing conversion will be finished in a few seconds. A red "Download" button will show up when the conversion is done.
- Press the "Download" to save the colorized photo to a destination folder.
#2. Luminar AI
Luminar AI is a piece of fully AI-powered image editing software released by Skylum. It is able to denoise photos, add vignette effect to photos, colorize photos, and convert photos to black and white. By the way, the app comes packed with numerous kinds of templates you can choose to apply to your image. On the whole, powered by AI techniques, Luminar AI is a wonderful photo enhancement app that is ideally suitable for those who have photo editing skills. This standalone software program is not free and costs about $45 for a license.
- Create superior-quality colorized photos
- Not free to use
- Not very easy to use for inexperienced users
- You need to colorize photos manually
Without further ado, let's see how to use Luminar AI to colorize a black and white photo in the following part.
How to colorize a black and white photo with Luminar AI
- Fire up Luminar AI. Drag and drop your photo into the program.
- Turn on "Layers". Click on the "+" icon at the top right corner of the interface to create a new "Adjustment" layer.
- A dialog prompts you to choose filters for the "Adjustment" layer. Choose the "Split Toning" filter and the "Channel Mixer" filter.
- Go to the "Split Toning" pane. Drag the "Saturation" slider to 100. Then, drag the "Hue" slider in the "Highlights" section to add desired colors to the photo. Do the same settings in the "Shadows" section. The adjustments will affect the entire image.
- If you want to add the color to a certain area instead of the entire image, click on the "Brush" tool. Brush the area you want to add the color to. This action will return the rest of the image to the black and white state. You are allowed to set the size, softness, and opacity of the brush. If you brush outside the area, you can erase the colors by using the erase brush.
- If you want to fine tune the changes, go to the "Channel Mixer" pane and move the "Red", "Green", "Blue", and "Constant" sliders to adjust the hues.
There are times when you want to colorize photos. You want to see how the old photos look in color. Or you want to paint the black and white photos to take the photo visual aspect to the next level. The two apps mentioned previously can help you achieve your goal. Tell me which one you prefer after you give them a shot.