How to sharpen photos to reveal important details
Posted On March 10, 2021
You probably know the term "Sharpen" in the field of photography. Sharpness combines two factors. One is resolution. The higher the resolution of the image, the sharper it is. Another factor is acutance. It is a measure of the contrast at an edge. The more contrast the edge has, the more defined the edge is. Human visual perception is sensitive to fine details of an image. When people look at a photo, they are drawn to the sharpest details. So, if you want to catch people's attention to certain areas, sharpening your photo is a good way to achieve it. You can find plenty of photo editors with the feature of image sharpening on the internet. But most of them are complex and not beginner-friendly. If you are a newbie at photo editing and searching for a simple tool to handle the task, please continue reading this article. In this article, I'll walk you through two easy-to-use photo effect apps and show you how to sharpen photos with them.
Photo Effects by Vertexshare
With a suggestive title, Photo Effects by Vertexshare is a piece of professional photo effect software. The app comes with various decorative objects and parameters you can use to make wow-worthy photos.
After launching the program, you will be greeted by a clean window, which is made up of three panels. A rich collection of predefined effects are located in the left-side panel. After loading the image into the program, you will see the small preview thumbnails of these effects. Most of the window is occupied by the middle panel. This panel is a preview area for you to preview the changes you make. Here you can zoom and pan the image, compare the differences between the original image and the changed image, and discard the changes. The parameter sections are located in the right-side panel. You can change the exposure level by adjusting the exposure compensation, exposure compression, lightness, saturation, and contrast. What's more, you can adjust the shadows/highlights, tone mapping, high dynamic range, and image sharpening. You are also given the possibility to reduce the noise level. Other adjustable parameters include white balance, channel mixer, soft light, vignette filter, local contrast, and vibrance.
On the whole, Photo Effects is a photo effect tool that allows you to apply effects to your photo in a flash. Owing to the straightforward UI and intuitive options, it can be easily mastered by all types of users.
How to sharpen a photo with Photo Effects
- Drag and drop your photo onto the working space. Or click on "File"->"Add Photo" to add your photo. You can also click on the "Add" button on the top menu bar to add the photo. If you import the wrong photo into the program, click on the "Remove" button next to the "Add button" to remove the photo.
- Go to the right side panel and scroll down to the "SHARPENING" section. Click on the "SHARPENING" button to activate the function of adjusting parameters. The parameters in this section are contrast threshold, blur radius, amount, and threshold.
This parameter tells how to conduct sharpening based on contrast. It specifies how much contrast the edge will have to have before it is sharpened. The higher the value is, the more contrast the edges will have to have before they are sharpened. The lower the value is, the less contrast the edges will have to have before they are sharpened. If the value is zero, the whole image will be sharpened.
This parameter is used to control the blur amount. The higher the value is, the more the blur you apply. The lower the value is, the less the blur you apply.
This parameter is used to control the strength of sharpening. The higher the value is, the stronger the contrast along edges is and the sharper the image looks.
This parameter is used to avoid producing photo noise. It sets the minimum brightness variance before the edge contrast is added to the details.
This parameter is to control the thickness of edges that will be sharpened. The lower the value is, the thinner the edges are. The higher the value is, the thicker the edges are.
- Drag the slider to adjust each parameter to fit your needs. Click on the "View" button to compare what the image had looked like before you made adjustments with what it looks like after you made adjustments. If you are not satisfied with the adjustments, click on the "Redo" button to discard all adjustments.
- When you are ready, click on "Export Photo" to export the photo to a desired location. You can also click on "File"->"Save As" to save the photo in a destination folder.
Image Online.Co is an all-in-one online photo editing application that comes packed with an assortment of image filters and converters. One of its image filters is an image sharpening tool. No special skills are required to apply the sharpening filter on the photo. There is no limit on the number of images to be processed and the service is free for use.
How to sharpen a photo with Image Online.Co
- Go to the left-pane and expand the "Image Filters" tab.
- Select the option "Sharpen image".
- Click on the "Select image" button to upload your photo. Or drop your photo into the drop box.
- Drag the slider to set the sharpening percentage.
- Press "Sharpen image" to apply the adjustment and preview the result in the right pane.
- Click on "Download –png" or "Download –jpg" to save the photo as a PNG or JPG to your hard drive.
As a photographer, you may want to emphasize the texture of the photo or catch the viewer's focus. This is when image sharpening comes in handy. It fixes the blurry and slightly out-of-focus shots. The above-mentioned utilities with this feature can help you quickly sharpen your photos to make them clear. Give them a shot and let me know what you think about them by leaving a comment below.