How to quickly get a HDR photo and make further adjustments
Posted On May 31, 2021
HDR is a great technique that is able to make realistic photos by blending different exposures of the same scene. We need to take advantage of the HDR technique in many situations in photography. A low-light situation or too much backlight results in very dark areas in the photo. HDR can iron out this issue by brightening the dark parts without overexposing the well-lit parts of the photo. Your camera is unable to capture the details of the landscape with high contrast but the HDR is able to get the details you can work with. Too much lighting on the face causes unflattering characteristics like bright glare or dark shadows. HDR can solve these problems to make the portrait look better. There are a large number of photo processing apps with the function of photo HDR that help you get HDR photos. But many of them are difficult to use. If you are searching for an easy-to-use app to handle the task, please continue reading this article. In this article, I'll introduce a simple HDR photo creator to you and teach you how to create a HDR photo and make further adjustments with it.
Photo HDR by Vertexshare
As the title implies, Photo HDR by Vertexshare is a piece of desktop software that is designed to merge differently exposed photos into a single HDR photo. Bundled with an insanely wide range of parameters and decorative objects, it allows you to tune the attributes of the created HDR photo in a fast way.
After firing up the program, you will be welcomed by a sleek and clean window. Load photos at different exposure levels into the program and the HDR technique will soon be applied to them. Click on "Next" and you will be taken to a new window. The window is composed of three panels. A variety of preset effects are located in the left-side panel. You can see small preview thumbnails of these preset visual effects. The middle panel takes up most of the window. In this panel, you can see the result of applying any change to the photo in real-time. A series of adjustment parameters are located in the right-side panel. You can change the exposure level by altering the brightness, saturation, and contrast. Moreover, you can squeeze the dynamic range compression and adjust the tone mapping for the HDR photo. Besides, you can sharpen the blurry photo, decrease the noise level in the photo, and modify the local contrast. You are also given the ability to add a graduated filter effect to your photo, boost colors using Lab adjustment, and mix the color channels. Vignette filter, vibrance, and soft light are other adjustable parameters.
All in all, Photo HDR is a robust HDR photo maker. Coming with a wild range of built-in filters, it lets you improve the quality of your HDR photo and make it pop. Photo HDR sports an intuitive navigation UI and settings. Therefore, it can be easily mastered by inexperienced users as well as experienced users.
Now, let’s dive into the part of how to use Photo HDR to quickly make a HDR photo and adjust its effect.
How to make a HDR photo and adjust its effect with Photo HDR
- Drag and drop three photos with different exposures into the box "Drag and Drop Your Photo here". You can also add the photos into the program by clicking on the "Add" button.
- After the three photos are imported into the program, you will soon see what a merged HDR photo looks like in the preview area. To remove the imported photos, click on the "Remove" button next to the "Add button".
Click on "Next" and go to the right panel. Here you can enhance the visual aspects of the created HDR photo in an around way. Let's say, you want to soften the edges of the shadows and increase the color intensity without affecting already saturated parts.
Click on "Soft Light" to activate the function of adjusting the parameter in the right-side panel.
The function "Soft Light" is used to flatten the harsh contrast generated by hard light. Moving the "Strength" slider to the right will lower the contrast and soften the edges of shadows.
Click on "Vibrance" to activate the function of adjusting the parameter in the right-side panel.
The function "Vibrance" is used to intensify the muted colors without oversaturating already vibrant colors. Pastel tones refer to the tones of low saturation. Moving the "Pastel Tones" slider to the right will increase the saturation of muted colors.
- Drag each slider to adjust the effect until it suits your needs.
- Press the "Save as" button to export the HDR photo to a desired location.
As you can see, it is super easy to obtain a HDR photo using Photo HDR. In addition, you can further tune the effect of the HDR photo to make it look greater. Photoshop is another handy tool that creates HDR photos and offers a certain degree of controls over the HDR photo. There are several methods to make a HDR photo and enhance its effect with Photoshop. Today, we will go through one of them in the following part.
How to make a HDR photo and enhance its effect in Photoshop
- Click on "File" on the top menu bar, go to "Automate", and select "Merge to HDR Pro".
- The "Merge to HDR Pro" dialog shows up. Click on the "Browse" button, browse to the three photos of different exposures, and open them. Click on "OK" in the dialog. Once the photos are imported to Photoshop, they will be combined into a HDR photo. You will see the created HDR photo in a pop-up window.
- A bunch of presets are available in the window. Select one preset and you will get an instant result. You can play around with several parameters like edge glow, gamma, exposure, details, highlights, shadows, and so forth. If you see unwanted glows on the edges, check the box "Remove ghosts".
- When you finish adjusting the effect, press the "Enter" key on the keyboard or click on the "OK" button at the bottom right-hand corner.
Photo HDR is a piece of professional software that enables you to quickly acquire a HDR photo and further optimize its effect. The free version leaves a watermark on the HDR photo. If you want a watermark-free HDR photo, shell out $29.95 to buy a pro version. It is sure that there is some other good Photo HDR software that can get the job done for you. If you find them in the future, please let me know by leaving your comment below.