How to put photos together to make a collage
Posted On June 18, 2021
There is a lot of work to do in photo post-production. One work is stitching photos. We need to do this work for different purposes. You took photos of beautiful scenes when traveling. One photo combined from the landscape photographs is more eye-catching to viewers than separate photos. Some pictures belong to the same subject like birds, puppies or flowers and you want to put them side by side. You have a bunch of photos of you and your friends. Merging them into one photo will make it more convenient to share photos. Speaking of photo stitching, there are plenty of software products on the market that can handle the task. However, many of them have steep learning curves and are very difficult to use for beginners in photo editing. As a beginner, if you are looking for an easy-to-use photo stitching app, please continue reading this post. In this post, I will introduce a beginner-friendly app to you and show you how to put photos together with it.
Photo Stitcher by Vertxshare
With a suggestive name, Photo Stitcher is a piece of professional software that aims to stitch photos to make a collage. It is bundled with a set of editing utilities with which you can further touch-up the collage.
After you launch the program, you will be welcomed with a sleek and clean window. The preview panel takes up most of the window. This panel is where you can zoom the stitched photo, modify its height or width, and edit it. On the right side of the window, there is a panel with a series of editing options. The direction enables you to align the photos horizontally or vertically. The spacing allows you to add inner spacings as well as outer spacings to the stitched photo. The cropping lets you remove unwanted parts from the stitched photo and get the desired section. The shape drawing gives you the ability to draw squares, arrows, and free-form shapes over the photos. It is possible to use different types of mosaics to hide the sensitive parts of the photos. If you want to make your stitched photo public and protect it, you can add a watermark to the bottom of the stitched photo or full-page watermarks to the entire stitched photo. The palette utilities are used to pick the color for the spacing, watermark, and shape.
All in all, Photo Stitcher is a simple yet powerful photo collage maker that merges photos seamlessly. It packs a set of editing functions you can use to retouch your photos. Because of the robust engine, it performs a very fast conversion. Due to the simplistic layout and intuitive settings, Photo Stitcher can be easily mastered by both less experienced users and professionals alike. If you want to make a photo collage in an easy way, Photo Stitcher is worth a try.
Now, let's dive into the part of how to use Photo Stitcher to put photos together.
How to put photos together with Photo Stitcher
- Launch Photo Stitcher. Go to the right-side panel. Select "HORIZONTAL" or "VERTICAL" as the horizontal direction or vertical direction in which you will place your photos.
- Throw your photos into the drop box saying "Drag and Drop Your Photo Here". Or click on "File"->"Add Photo" to add your photos into the program. You can also import the photos by clicking on the "Add" button. To remove the imported photos, click on the "Remove" button next to the "Add" button.
- When your photos are loaded into the program, you might find that they do not fit the preview panel. To make the photos fit the preview panel, click on "Edit"->"Fit Screen".
- Press the "Edit images" button beside the "Remove" button. The "Edit images" panel pops up. In this panel, you can drag and drop photos to rearrange the order of the photos as desired. You can also right-click on one photo and select "Delete" to delete the photo.
- You may want to make further edits to the collage. Let's say, you want to add spacings to your collage for decorating it. Go to the "SPACING" section in the right-side panel. There are three options for adding spacings. The left option is to add spacings between photos. The middle one is to add outer spacings to the photos. The right one is to add both inner spacings and outer spacings to the photos. Choose one option. Select one color on the palette as the color of the spacings. Move the "Inner" slider or/and "Outer" slider to adjust the spacing size.
- Press the "Save as" button to export the stitched image to a desired location. Or click on "File"->"Save As" to save the stitched image into a destination folder.
An alternative to Photo Stitcher
Apart from Photo Stitcher, I'd like to introduce another app to help you stitch photos to create a collage. That is PineTools, which is an online photo editor. It gives you everything you need to manipulate your photos. Let's see how to use PineTools to create a photo collage in the following part.
- Head over to the homepage. Navigate to the left-side pane and choose "Images". Scroll down and select "MERGE IMAGEs". You will be taken to a new webpage.
- PineTools allows you to merge two photos at a time. Click on "Choose file" in the "FIRST IMAGE" section and "Choose file" in the "SECOND IMAGE" section to upload two photos one by one.
- Choose to position the photos horizontally or vertically.
- There are three options about adjusting the size of the photos. "Magnify the smallest", "Reduce the biggest", and "Crop the biggest". Select "Reduce the biggest". I suggest you choose "Reduce the biggest" as the way to adjust the size of the photos.
- Drag the "Thickness of the border" slider to specify the thickness of the borders of the stitched photo. Pick one color as the color of the border in the "COLOR OF THE BORDER" palette.
- Press the "MERGE!" button to start the conversion. When it is done, you will see the stitched photo in the preview area.
- Click on "PNG", "JPG", or "WEBP" to select the output image format and download the stitched photo.
- Upload the stitched photo to PineTools and merge it with the other photos to get the final result.
Do you want to create a collage with photos? If so, give Photo Stitcher and PineTools a shot. Functionality-wise, both the two apps do a great job of making photo collages. PineTools is free for use but has a limit that you only can merge two photos each time. Photo Stitcher doesn't have such a restriction but only allows you to use it 15 times for free. If you find other good apps to get the job done in the future, please let me know by leaving your comment below.