How to easily make a beautiful HDR photo
Posted On May 4, 2021
Even though you are a beginner in photography, you probably hear the term "HDR". HDR is a technology that helps you create better-looking photos. It combines three photos with different exposures into a one HDR photo. There are times when you need the HDR technology. Your photo looks a little too dark if the scene has too much backlight or you are in a low-light situation. HDR is able to brighten the foreground while not blowing out the well-lit parts of the photo. The big landscape in your photo has lots of contrast between the land and sky. It is very hard for your camera to handle in only one photo. But HDR is able to capture the details of the land without making the sky too dark, and vice versa. Lighting is a very important factor for getting a good-looking photo. If you take a photo of someone under the harsh sunlight, too much lighting on the face will cause bright glare and dark shadows. HDR evens that all out so that your subject will look better. Nowadays, there is plenty of image editing software with the HDR technique on the market. If you are looking for a piece of reliable HDR effect software, please continue reading this article. In this article, I will introduce the best HDR photo app to you and show you how to make a HDR photo with it.
Photo HDR by Vertexshare
With a suggestive name, Photo HDR by Vertexshare is a piece of user-friendly photo HDR software. It lets you merge photos of different exposures into a HDR photo. This software program comes packed with a variety of parameters and decorative objects with which you can further enhance the effect of your HDR photo.
After the program is launched, you will be welcomed by a sleek and clean window. Import your photos into the program and the HDR technique will be applied to them. Click on "Next" and you will be taken to a new window. The window consists of three panels. A rich collection of predefined special effects are located in the left-side panel. You can see their small preview thumbnails. The middle panel takes up most of the window. It is a preview area where you can see the effect applied to the photo in real-time. A generous assortment of adjustment parameters is located in the right-side panel. You can change the exposure level by adjusting the brightness, contrast, and saturation. What's more, you are allowed to adjust the local contrast, tone mapping and dynamic range compression. Besides, you can increase the sharpness of the photo and get rid of the noise from the photo. Other parameters include vignette filter, channel mixer, graduated filter, vibrance, lab adjustment, and soft light.
Overall speaking, Photo HDR by Vertexshare is a nice HDR photo editor for PC. It enables you to make a stunning HDR photo and apply various effects to the HDR photo in an instant. Thanks to the simple layout and straightforward options, Photo HDR is suitable for both less experienced users and professionals.
Let's dive into the part of how to make a HDR photo with Photo HDR.
How to make a HDR photo with Photo HDR
- Throw three photos at different exposure levels into the box "Drag and Drop Your Photo here". You can also add the photos into the program by clicking on the "Add" button.
- Once your photos are imported into the program, you will see what a HDR photo merged from the three photos looks like in the preview area. To remove the imported photos, click on the "Remove" button next to the "Add button".
- Click on the "Next" button and go to the right-side panel. Use the parameters here to improve the visual effects of the merged HDR photo. For example, you can raise or lower the contrast in specific parts. Scroll down to the "LOCAL CONTRAST" section and click on "LOCAL CONTRAST" to activate the function of adjust the parameters. The parameters in this section include radius, amount, darkness level, and lightness level.
This parameter is the dividing line between the large scale contrast (global contrast) and the small scale contrast (local contrast). If you want more local contrast and less global contrast, decrease the value. If you want less local contrast and more global contrast, increase the value.
This parameter is used to control the amount of contrast you want to add at the transitions. To add more contrast, increase the value. To add less contrast, decrease the value.
This parameter is to modify the brightness of the dark areas. As the value is increased, the dark areas become darker. As the value is decreased, the dark areas become brighter.
This parameter is to modify the brightness of the light areas. As the value is increased, the light areas become brighter. As the value is decreased, the light areas become darker.
When you finished adjusting the local contrast, press the "Save as" button to export the HDR photo to a desired location.
An Alternative to Photo HDR
HDR Darkroom 3 is another HDR photo creator that generates professional HDR results. It comes with a series of advanced HDR technologies like alignment, ghost reduction, and local/global tone mapping. Follow the steps below to create a gorgeous HDR photo using HDR Darkroom 3.
- Take 3 to 5 differently exposed photos. Launch the program and click on the "New HDR" icon in the left pane to import the photos into the program.
- The merging dialog pops up. Choose the merging options you want to use at the bottom of the dialog. Then, click on "OK".
- The program starts merging the imported photos into an HDR photo. You will see the HDR photo in the preview area when the process is done. Go to the right pane and specify a HDR style for your HDR photo. You can adjust the contrast, saturation, and brightness for each HDR style. There are also some advanced editing options for you to tweak. In the advanced tab, you can adjust the tone mapping, tones, smoothness/sharpness, chromatic aberration, and vignette.
- Press the "Save" button in the left-pane. Specify the output location and select the target file format. Click on "Save" to save the photo to your hard drive.
HDR is a great photography technology that joins differently exposed photos of the same scene into a single photo. The created HDR photo accurately captures the details and vibrant colors of the scene seen by your eyes. With the aid of the photo HDR apps mentioned above, you can make a beautiful HDR photo with ease. If someday you discovert other excellent software to help you do the job, tell me by leaving your comment below.