How to easily fix a color cast
Posted On June 11, 2021
Often, the colors of your photo match that of the scene in reality. Sometimes, when looking at a photo, you may find the colors are not right. The colors are bluish and the photo looks cooler. Or the colors are yellowish and the photo looks warmer. A tint of a particular color is a color cast in a photograph. Generally speaking, a color cast is unwanted and you need to remove it. To get the job done, you can take advantage of the photo processing software to correct the white balance in your photo. Although there are a lot of photo editing programs with the white balance adjustment, many of them have steep learning curves and are not suitable for beginners. If you are looking for a beginner-friendly photo editor, please continue reading this post. In this post, I will introduce you to a photo effect app with which you can easily fix a color cast by adjusting the white balance.
Photo Effects by Vertexshare
Having a suggestive name, Photo Effects is designed to tune the visual aspects of the photo for enhancing the photo quality. Because it aims for simplicity, the user interface is straightforward and easy to get around.
Fire up the program and you will see a clean window. The window is made up of three panels. A series of preset effects are located in the left-side panel. They are very cool special effects. Each one can be added to your photo with a single click. The middle panel is a big preview area where you can view any change applied to the photo in real-time. There are options for zooming and paning the photo, comparing the original photo and changed photo, and discarding all the changes. A set of filters are located in the right-side panel. With these filters, you can comprehensively adjust the photo effect. You can change the exposure by tweaking the exposure compensation, exposure compression, brightness, contrast, and saturation. In addition, you can modify the shadows and highlights as well as local contrast. What's more, you can compress the dynamic range of a photo, tone-map a HDR photo, and set the white balance. You are also given the ability to sharpen a blurry photo, denoise the photo, and mix the color channels. Vignette filter, soft light, and vibrance are other effective filters.
Photo Effects is a professional photo effect editor. Coming packed with various tuners, it lets you apply adjustments to your photo in an instant to make it look amazing. The minimalistic design and intuitive settings ensure the app can be mastered by both novices and experts. In a word, if you want to improve the quality of your photo, Photo Effects absolutely deserves a try.
Let's dive into the part of how to use Photo Effects to fix a color cast.
How to fix a color cast with Photo Effects
- Drag and drop your photo into the drop box. Or click on "File"->"Add Photo" to import your photo into the program. You can also click on the "Add" button to add the photo. To remove the imported photo, click on the "Remove" button next to the "Add button".
- Go to the right side panel. Scroll down to the "WHITE BALANCE" section. There are three sliders in this section. They are "Temperature", "Tink", and "Blue/Red Equalizer". The "Temperature" slider is used to adjust the colors along the blue-yellow axis. If the value is increased, the photo will look more yellowish. If the value is decreased, the photo will look more bluish. The "Tink" slider is used to adjust the colors along the magenta-green axis. If the value is increased, the photo will look greener. If the value is decreased, the photo will look more magenta. The "Blue/Red Equalizer" slider is used to control the ratio between red and blue. If the value is increased, the ratio will become larger. Conversely, if the value is decreased, the ratio will become smaller.
- Click on the "WHITE BALANCE" button. Drag the sliders to adjust the photo effect until it suits your needs. You can click on and hold the "View" button to see the differences between the original photo and changed photo. You can also click on the "Compare" button to make a comparison between two photos.
- Press the "Export Photo" button to export the photo to a desired location. Or click on "File"->"Save As" to save the photo into a destination folder.
An alternative to Photo Effects for fixing a color cast
The free version of Photo Effects leaves a watermark to the exported photo. If you want a free app to get a watermark-free photo, Pixlr is a good choice. Pixlr is one of the best free online photo effect editors. When using it, you will edit the photo like you do in Photoshop. Apart from offering photo editing functions, Pixlr lets you quickly and easily create graphic designs. Without further ado, let's see how to fix a color cast with Pixlr.
- Head over to the site and select "PIXLR E ADVANCED PHOTO EDITOR".
- Click on "OPEN IMAGE" to upload your photo. You can also directly throw your photo into the box.
- Go to the left pane and choose the "Picker" tool. Move the mouse cursor over the photo. Sample the color that results in the color cast. Click on the area where the color is most noticeable. As you can see, the photo used for this tutorial has an orange color cast. So, sample the orange color.
- Click on the foreground color to open the "Color picker" panel.
- The values in R channel, G channel, and B channel are respectively 197, 131, and 35. We should make the values in R, G, and B color channels the same to balance the colors. We can leave the value of G channel alone, reduce the value of "Red" and increase the value of "Blue". Record the three values and close the panel. Click on "Adjustment" on the top menu bar and select "Color balance". Do the calculations. Set the value of "Red" to -66 and the value of "Blue" to 96 in the "MIDTONES" tab.
- Click on "APPLY" to apply the change to the photo. You will see the color cast has been fixed. Go to "File"->"Save" to save the changed photo to your hard drive.
Is there a color cast in your photo? If so, use the apps mentioned above to fix it and get perfect white balance. Tell me which one you like by leaving a comment below. I hope you find this guide useful. I will appreciate it if you share this article with your friends.