How to bring colors to the black and white photo
You have a collection of family photos that are black and white. These old photos were taken before the color film was widely used. You want to add colors to them to give them a new look and bring events back to life. You come across some monochrome photos and want to add colors to them so that they would look more eye-catching. Many years ago, only a small number of people mastered the photo colorizing skills since it is very difficult to colorize photos. But nowadays, things are quite different. Due to the development of the AI photo colorizing technique, making a black and white photo colorized is much easier than before. Even though you are a beginner in photo editing, with the help of photo colorizers, you can quickly bring colors to the black and white photo. There are innumerable photo coloring apps on the market. I believe you are not very clear about which apps are reliable. To save your time finding reliable apps, I will introduce you to a piece of AI software that does a great job of colorizing your black and white photo.
Picture Colorizer by Vertexshare
As the name implies, Picture Colorizer is an online AI photo colorizing app that analyzes black and white pictures and turns them into colored pictures. The process can be done within a few seconds. Batch conversion is supported. You can upload multiple photos and process them at the same time. The max file upload size is 5MB. The dimension of the image to be uploaded should not be larger than 3000px*3000px. Creating an account for using it is not required. The service doesn't cost you a cent. With regards to privacy and security, all your images will be deleted from the server every day. So, there is no need to worry about data leakage. Based on the latest AI techniques in deep learning, Picture Colorize colorizes the black and white photos accurately all the time. No matter whether you want to colorize portrait pictures, landscape photographs, or animal photos, Picture Colorizer is worth a shot.
- Free to use
- Colorize photos with high accuracy
- Support colorizing photos in batch
- Easy to use
- No need to register and log in
- The size of the image to be uploaded can't exceed 5MB
- The dimension of the image to be uploaded can't be bigger than 3000px*3000px
- You are only allowed to upload a PNG or JPG format image
Let's dive into the part of how to use Picture Colorizer to bring colors to a black and white photo.
How to bring colors to a black and white photo with Picture Colorizer
- Drag and drop your photo into the drop box. Or click on the "Upload" button, browse to your photo, select it, and click on "Open".
- After your photo is added to the task, press the "Start" button to start uploading and colorizing the photo.
- The colorizing process will be completed in a few seconds. You will see a red "Download" button when the process is done.
- Press the "Download" to download the colorized photo.
PS: How to add colors to a black and white photo in Photoshop
When it comes to post-processing photos, the first tool that comes to your mind is definitely Photoshop. You may wonder if it is possible to lean in favor of Photoshop to add colors to your black and white photo. The answer is yes. Today, I would like to show you how to colorize your photo with Adobe Photoshop CC 2019.
- Open Photoshop. Throw your photo into the program.
- Go to the top menu bar. Click on "Image". Go to "Mode" and select "CMYK Color". The image will be converted into CMYK color.
- Click on "Window" on the top menu bar. Choose "Adjustment". Then you will see the "Adjustment" panel docked on the right-hand toolbar.
- In the "Adjustment" panel, click on the "Curves" icon to create a "Curves" adjustment layer. Then, you will see the "Properties" panel of the "Curves" layer show up.
- Choose "Cyan" in the "CMYK" drop-down menu. Specify the "Input" value and the "Output" value. Type in specific numbers in the boxes or drag the curve until you are happy with the cyan saturation. Then, choose "Yellow" in the "CMYK" drop-down menu. Set the "Input" and "Output" to the proper values. Next, choose "Magenta" in the "CMYK" drop-down menu. Adjust the "Input" value and the "Output" value in the same way you did for the "Cyan" curve and the "Yellow" curve. Now, the color of the photo is the color you can add to a part of the photo.
- Move your cursor over the layer mask thumbnail. Click on it. The "Curves" tab will be switched to the "Masks" tab in the "Properties" panel. Click on "Invert". Go to the left-hand toolbar and choose "Brush tool". Adjust the size of the brush. Brush the parts you want to colorize. You can zoom in the photo to achieve perfect edges. Once you are done with the painting. You can repeat the same steps to colorize other parts of the photo.
To get a glimpse of the past, you can take a look at the old black and white photographs. Colors help to better show the past. If you want to see what the past was really like, use AI photo colorizers to add colors to the photos. Picture Colorize is such a software product, which is super easy to use and completely for free. With the aid of it, you can bring real-life colors to the black and white photo with button clicks. If you know some other great apps to help you get the job done, please let me know by leaving a comment below.