How to adjust the white balance to correct color casts
Posted On April 23, 2021
As is known to all photographers, different light situations yield different color temperature in the photo. Shooting with natural light will make your photos have a cold color temperature. Shooting in unnatural incandescent light will result in a warm color cast. Our eyes constantly adjust how we perceive it and adapt to different lighting conditions. For example, when you are in a room with a bluish light, a white object will still be decoded as white by your eyes. The camera does not perceive light the same as our eyes do. It uses white balance to neutralize the color casts and reproduce colors. Generally speaking, the colors will look close to the way they look in real life. But sometimes, the camera gets confused and makes the colors overly warm or cool. Therefore, you need post-process software with white balance adjustment to correct the color casts. Though there are lots of photo editing programs that allow you to adjust the white balance, many of them are very difficult to learn and not designed for beginners. If you are looking for software tools that do not have steep learning curves, please continue reading this article. In this article, I will walk you through two beginner-friendly and easy-to-use photo editors that help you get the job done
#1. Photo Effects by Vertexshare
As the title suggests, Photo Effects by Vertexshare is a photo effects app. This standalone application lets you enhance the quality of your photo by using a variety of parameters and decorative objects.
After the program is launched, you will be greeted by a simple and clean window. This window consists of three panels. A rich collection of predefined effects are located in the left-side panel. After your photo is imported into the program, you will see the small preview thumbnails of these predefined effects. The middle panel takes up most of the window. It is the preview area where you can preview the effect you apply to the photo. You can zoom and pan the photo, compare the original photo and the changed photo, and discard all changes you make. A wide range of adjustment parameters are located in the right-side panel. You can fine-tune the contrast, saturation, lightness, exposure compensation, and exposure compression. Moreover, you can adjust the shadows/highlights, local contrast, tone mapping, dynamic range, and white balance. You are even given the possibility to sharpen a blurry photo and reduce the noise level in the photo. Other adjustable parameters include channel mixer, soft light, vignette filter, and vibrance.
Overall speaking, Photo Effects is a piece of professional photo effect software you can use to apply different effects to your photo to make stunning photos. It is a great choice for both inexperienced users and experts who want to process photos as quickly as possible.
Let's dive into the part of how to use Photo Effects to adjust the white balance.
How to adjust the white balance with Photo Effects
- Throw your photo onto the working area. Or click on "File"->"Add Photo" to add your photo into the program. You can also click on the "Add" button to add the photo. To remove the imported photo, click on the "Remove" button next to the "Add button" to remove the photo.
- Go to the right side panel and scroll down to the "WHITE BALANCE" section. Click on the "WHITE BALANCE" button to activate the function of adjusting parameters. The parameters in this section are temperature, tink, and blue/red equalizer.
This parameter is used to adjust the colors along the blue-yellow axis. Increasing the value will make the photo more yellowish. Decreasing the value will make the photo more bluish. In another word, the lower the value is, the cooler the photo looks; the higher the value is, the warmer the photo looks.
This parameter is used to adjust the colors along the magenta-green axis. As the value is increased, the photo becomes greener. As the value is decreased, the photo becomes more magenta.
This parameter is used to control the ratio between red and blue. Increasing the value will make the ratio larger and increase the proportion of red. Decreasing the value will make the ratio smaller and increase the proportion of blue.
- Drag each slider to adjust each parameter to fit your needs. Click on and hold the "View" button to see the differences between the original photo and changed photo. You can also click on the "Compare" button to compare what the photo had looked like before you made changes with what it looks like after you made changes. If you want to readjust the parameters, click on the "Redo" button to discard the adjustments.
- Press the "Export Photo" button to export the photo to a desired location. Or click on "File"->"Save As" to save the photo into a destination folder.
IMGonline.com.ua is a free online application that specializes in processing JPEG images. It comes with a generous assortment of utilities to manipulate images. You can combine pictures into one, resize images in pixels, convert countless different image formats to JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, WebP, SVG, and PSD, and enhance your photo with various filters. The app makes it possible to adjust the color temperature to improve the white balance of your photo of JPG format.
How to adjust the white balance with IMGonline.com.ua
- Head over to the site and click on "Improve" on the top menu bar.
- Scroll down and select "Color temperature".
- Click on "Choose file" to upload your photo in JPG format.
- Go to the "Color temperature settings" section. Type in a specific number in the "Correction of color temperature" box to set the color temperature. The negative value is used to add cold light. The positive value is used to add warm light. The range of values is from -200 to 200. You can check the "Automatic color balance" box. The function here sometimes helps correct the color temperature
- Specify the quality of the output image and Click on "OK". Press "Download processed image" to download the processed JPG image.
Sometimes, the object in your photo appears bluer or yellower than it actually is. This is when you need to adjust the white balance with photo processing tools to make the color appear more realistic. With the aid of two apps above, you can easily and quickly correct the color casts by tweaking the white balance. Give them a shot and tell me which one you prefer by leaving a comment below.