How to add a vignette effect to your photo
Posted On March 23, 2021
Human eyes tend to be attracted to the brighter regions of a photo. The darker regions lead our eyes towards them. If the edges of a photo are the brightest areas of the photo, it will distract our focus on the center, which is adverse to the overall impression of the photo. This is when vignette comes in handy. Vignette is a great effect filter that darkens the periphery of a photo so that our eyes will be drawn to the brighter areas in the center. Though there are quantities of post-processing software that let you apply a vignette effect to your photo, many of them are not user-friendly for beginners. If you are looking for a beginner-friendly vignette photo effect app, please continue reading this post. In this post, I will introduce an easy-to-use photo editor to help you get the job done.
Photo Effects by Vertexshare
Photo Effects by Vertexshare is a piece of photo filter software. It comes packed with a set of parameters and decorative objects.
You will be welcomed by a sleek and clean window after the program is launched. This window consists of three panels. The left-side panel includes a collection of predefined effects. After your photo is loaded into the program, you will see small preview thumbnails of these effects. The middle panel takes up most of the window. This is the area to preview the adjustments you apply to the photo. You can zoom and pan the photo, compare the original photo and the changed photo, and discard all changes you make. The right-side panel includes a series of parameter adjustment sections. You can change the exposure compensation, exposure compression, lightness, saturation, and contrast. Moreover, you can adjust the shadows/highlights, dynamic range, tone mapping, white balance, and image sharpening. Other parameters the program allows you to adjust are local contrast, vibrance, channel mixer, soft light, and vignette filter. What's more, you are given the possibility to reduce the noise level in your photo.
On the whole, Photo Effects is a simple yet powerful photo effect filter that enables you to apply various effects to your photo. Due to the intuitive layout and options, it is suitable for all user levels. If you wish to quickly and easily obtain a perfect photo, Photo Effects is absolutely the go-to option.
Let's dive into the part of how to add a vignette effect to your photo with Photo Effects
How to add a vignette effect to your photo with Photo Effects
- Drag and drop your photo into the drop box. Or click on "File"->"Add Photo" to add your photo into the program. You can also add the photo by clicking on the "Add" button. To remove the photo, click on the "Remove" button next to the "Add button".
- Navigate to the right side panel and scroll down to the "VIGNETTE FILTER" section. Click on the "VIGNETTE FILTER" button to activate the function of adjusting parameters. The parameters in this section are strength, feather and roundness.
This parameter is to control the amount of darkening. The higher the value is, the more the amount of darkening to be applied to the edges is. When the value is negative, the edges will be brightened.
This parameter is to control the width of the feathering. Feathering means softening the transition between the edges and the areas in focus. The higher the value is, the more the areas of the photo to be feathered are. When the value is 0, only corners will be feathered and you will see a rough transition. When the value is 50, feathering reaches halfway to the center. When the value is 100, feathering reaches all the way to the center and the transition becomes less visible.
This parameter is to control the shape of the vignette effect. The higher the value is, the rounder the shape is. When the value is 0, the shape is a rounded rectangle. When the value is 50, the shape is a fitted ellipse. When the value is 100, the shape is a circle.
- Drag the slider to adjust each parameter to fit your needs. Click on the "View" button to compare what the photo had looked like before you made changes with what it looks like after you made changes. Click on the "Redo" button to discard the changes if you want to readjust the parameters.
- Click on "Export Photo" to export the photo to a desired location. Or click on "File"->"Save As" to save the photo to a destination folder.
An alternative to Photo Effects
Funny.photo.to is a web-based app that lets you create a nice vignette effect online. This is a website where you can manipulate your photos by making use of many editing utilities and apply lots of styles, fun, and amazingness to your photos. The service is free for use. Follow the steps below to add a vignette effect to your photos with this online tool.
- Head over to the site and click on the "Editor" tab. Then, press "Get started".
- Click on "from computer" or "from Facebook" to upload your photo.
- After your photo is uploaded to the server, navigate to the left pane and click on the "Effects" tab to expand it. Then, choose "Vignette" in the tab.
- You can fine-tune the softness and size of the vignetting effect. Press the "Apply" button after you make changes. Choose "Focus" in the tab. You can customize the radius of blur outside the area of focus. Press "Apply" after you make adjustments.
- Click on "Save and share"->"Download" to download the photo.
Vignette is a technique in photography, of which the main purpose is to draw attention to your focal point by darkening the certain areas of a photo. Do you need to draw viewers' attention away from the distractions in the edges and emphasize the subject in the center? If so, give Photo Effects a shot. With the help of Photo Effects, you can add a vignette effect to your photo in a breeze.