HEIC stands for High Efficiency Image format. It is a popular format developed by MPEG. Using sophisticated compression methods, the size of an HEIC image is half of the size of a JPG image. HEIC makes the image smaller but does not reduce the quality. Although HEIC format is a great image format, it will also bring troubles. If your friends or colleagues are using iOS 11 or the later version, the photos they take by default will be saved in HEIC. They may want to share these photos with you. They send the photos to you but your devices are Windows based computers or android phones. As a result, you can not view the image because HEIC is not supported by Windows systems and Android systems. This is a little frustrating. But don't be worried. Thanks to the development of file format converting software technology, HEIC converter software can help you solve this problem. By leveraging this type of software, you can get JPG or PNG images from HEIC images. The internet is flooded with HEIC converter apps. If you want to find reliable apps, you will spend a lot of time. To save your time doing so, I will introduce you to an app that does a nice job of converting HEIC to JPG and PNG.
HEIC File Converter
HEIC File Converter is a desktop app released by Vertexshare. It is designed to transform HEIC to traditional formats that can be opened on Windows systems. The converted formats are JPG, PNG, and PDF. This app is very small and takes up only 18MB space. HEIC File Converter allows you to import multiple files into the program and convert them at the same time. The conversion takes within a few seconds to several minutes. HEIC File Converter not only converts files fast but also produces very good quality. This app is totally free to use and it won't leave watermarks to the output JPGs, PNGs, and PDFs. No network connection is needed because HEIC file converter works offline. So, all files won't be uploaded during the conversion and you don't have to worry about data leakage. One the whole, if you are seeking an easy-to-use app to obtain JPG or PNG from HEIC, HEIC File Converter is worth a shot. Due to a simple interface and intuitive settings, it can be easily mastered by all types of users.
- Free to use. No watermarks left to JPGs, PNGs, and PDFs.
- Batch converting multiple HEIC images is doable.
- Ensures a fast conversion and high-quality converted files.
- Beginner-friendly app.
Let's dive into the part of how to use HEIC File Converter to convert an iPhone photo from HEIC to JPG or PNG
How to convert an iPhone photo from HEIC to JPG or PNG with HEIC File Converter
- Launch HEIC File Converter and you will be welcomed by a clean window.
- Drag and drop your HEIC image into the working area. You can also click on "Add Heic", browse to the HEIC image, select it and click on "Open" to import your HEIC image
- The HEIC image will appear in the task list when it is loaded into the program. If you imported the wrong image, delete it from the task list by clicking on the "Close" button.
- Press the "Options" button to open the "Options" dialog box. Select "JPG" or "PNG" as the format of the output image.
- Go to the bottom of the window. Click on the "Browse" button to designate the folder for saving the output image. You can also enter the path of the destination folder in the box.
- Press the "Convert" button to begin converting the HEIC image. You will see the green check mark when the conversion is completed.
I would like to mention that Vertexhsare not only provides the HEIC File Converter but also offers a command line solution to convert HEIC images. Let's see how to use command lines to convert HEIC to JPG or PNG in the following part.
How to convert iPhone photos from HEIC to JPG or PNG using command lines
- Download the ZIP archive. Unpack the files in the archive to a desired folder.
- Copy and paste your HEIC image to the folder where the files in the archive are unpacked.
- Double click on "HeicFIleConsole.exe" and the CMD window will be opened.
- Type in the format you want to convert the HEIC image to. Press the "Enter" key from your keyboard.
- Type in "Start" to start the conversion. Wait for a while. When the conversion is done, you will see the prompt "All heic images have been converted" in the CMD window.
- Go to the folder where you put the HEIC image and you will see the JPG or the PNG image.
We have to admit that HEIC is a nice image format. It is about half the size of JPG for the same image quality. But the thing is it is not compatible with Windows and Android devices. If the iOS system is 11 or newer, the iPhone will save the photo as HEIC image by default. It is sure that people can tweak the setting to save the photo as a JPG. But sometimes, people may forget to do this and get the photo in HEIC format. If you are a Windows or Android user and receive HEIC images from them, you can't open them on your computer or smartphone. This is when HEIC File Converter comes to your rescue. Get the most out of it to acquire JPG or PNG from HEIC. If you have any questions about this app, please leave your comment below.